Centerless grinding has been known to achieve perfect roundness and dimensional tolerance, but it has also got some other things that are essential in meeting high production volumes.Centerless grinding has been known to surpass the norms of metalworking these few years and it continues to have an increasing demand from various industries. It is obvious that this machining solution is effective as it allows parts to achieve smoother surface polishes, bring out tighter dimensional tolerances, and hold even higher degrees of straightness.
But those obvious advantages are not only things that can be benefited from centerless grinding, a lot can also be
1. No room for deflection
– The workpiece is rigidly supported by the regulating wheel which presses it to the grinding wheel dressed with abrasive grains. It is well supported under the grinding cut and for the full length of the cut. Thus, there’s no room for deflection to occur in the process. This has also allowed heavier passes other than grinding between centers.
– With preventive maintenance (PM) means more production. Considering proper maintenance upon the operation along with equipment and tools would also matter in the production of materials and the result. In order to make 100% sure to avoid deflections while meeting daily production volumes without a glitch, a quick fix and machine inspection is the key!
2. Able to grind either brittle materials or even distorted parts
– There is no axial thrust imposed on the workpiece while grinding which results in a capacity to grind different sizes and geometrical figures. It is possible for the centerless grinder to grind long pieces of brittle materials and even distorted parts because of the absence of the end pressure.
3. Small loading time
– The small loading time makes the process continuous compared to grinding between centers. As what the name implies, there is no need for supporting the workpiece on centers. The process just gets through to a “through-grinding” process. The work blade just hold the workpiece in place and at the correct height which is a critical to the diameter tolerance and roundness of the bar material.
4. Can grind large quantities
– Centerless grinding has been essentially used to work on whatever size of workpiece. Tools like gravity chute, hopper feeder or magazine are used to adapt to different part size.
5. Longer yield/ wheel life
– Because there is need for centering, no external feeding mechanism takes place. A true floating condition occurs during the process which results in a longer wheel life/yield and less stock needed. A coolant is poured out to the wheels to control the heat during the process.
Learn more about our capabilities, Contact us! And if you have a specific need, please get out Free Quote.