What is 446 Stainless Steel Bar?
446 stainless steel bar is a high chromium ferritic heat-resistant alloy that offers excellent resistance to oxidation and scaling at high temperatures.
The 446 stainless steel bar is a high-chromium ferritic heat-resistant alloy that contains a minimum of 23% chromium. It is also referred to as UNS S44600, and its high chromium content provides excellent resistance to oxidation and scaling at high temperatures.
This type of stainless steel is often valuable for applications requiring high-temperature and corrosion resistance. It can withstand temperatures of up to 1093°C (2000°F) in air, and its high chromium content helps to protect against the effects of scaling and oxidation.
It is also famous for its resistance to sulfidation and good mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. Also, it is a non-hardenable alloy, which means it cannot be strengthened through heat treatment. However, it can be cold-worked to improve its strength and hardness.
446 Round Bar Steel Purchaser
Machining and Welding Of 446 Bar
Machining of 446 stainless steel bar can be challenging due to its high chromium content and low thermal conductivity. The alloy tends to work harden quickly, which can result in difficulties with chip formation and tool life. It is important to use cutting tools specifically designed for high-temperature alloys and maintain proper cutting speeds and feeds to prevent excessive heat buildup. The coolant should also be used to help dissipate heat and avoid work hardening.
Welding of this stainless steel grade can be performed using various methods, including gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), and shielded metal arc welding (SMAW). It is essential to use filler metal designed for high-temperature applications, such as AWS A5.9 ER446. Preheating and post-weld heat treatment are recommended to prevent cracking and improve the properties of the weld. It is also essential to avoid overheating the material, as this can cause the chromium to evaporate, reducing corrosion resistance.
Properties of 446 Stainless Steel Bar
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||446 STEEL DATA|
|Electrical Resistivity||402 µΩ|
|Modulus of Elasticity||220 GPa|
|CHEMICAL PROPERTIES||446 STEEL DATA|
Applications of 446 Grade Steel Bar
446 stainless steel bar is a highly corrosion-resistant metal that offers numerous advantages. One of its key benefits is its ability to resist rust and corrosion, thanks to the presence of chromium. Additionally, it is incredibly durable and can withstand wear and tear due to its hardness. Lastly, it is an affordable material compared to other options.
This bar steel is a versatile material valuable in various applications. Some of the standard applications:
- Heat exchangers: Due to their excellent high-temperature resistance, 446 stainless steel bar is used in manufacturing heat exchangers used in industrial settings.
- Furnace parts: This type of stainless steel is also commonly used producing in furnace parts, such as furnace grids, retorts, and muffles, due to its high-temperature strength and corrosion resistance.
- Welding fixtures: It is useful to produce welding fixtures used in welding and fabrication applications, thanks to its high corrosion resistance and excellent machinability.
- Oil and gas industry: The oil and gas industry commonly uses these bars in oil and gas production equipment, such as valves, tubing, and piping, because of their excellent corrosion resistance.
- Chemical processing: The chemical processing industry also uses 446 stain bars to manufacture equipment such as pumps and tanks with resistance to corrosion from chemicals.
- Kitchenware: It is useful to make kitchenware such as cutlery, cookware, and utensils due to its excellent durability, resistance to wear and tear, and easy maintenance.
Advanced Grinding Services is an ideal partner, offering top-quality 446 stainless steel bars and exceptional machining and grinding services to achieve specific requirements. Contact us today to request a quote.